It was about 100 years ago that the former public house known as the Pineapple was bought by the parish of St Mary’s, Bourne Street, and was converted into our existing presbytery, the remodelling being completed by the architect H. S. Goodhart-Rendel in 1922.
In the run-up to our 150th anniversary we are looking to return the ground floor of the presbytery to a more public and social space.
Why does our neighbourhood want or need such a space? The answer to that lies in St Mary’s history and community. St Mary’s was built in 1874 as a church for the servants of Eaton Square and the poor in the nearby slums of Pimlico. From the start it ran an active programme for its … Continue reading “Background”
BACKGROUND Following on from the Spring leaflet entitled ‘St Mary’s going forward’ you will know we have this year been engaged in a process of discernment and consultation about a possible building project here at St Mary’s Bourne St as part of our wider preparation for the celebration of our 150th in 2024. A joint … Continue reading “Autumn Update”