The Pineapple Project
Building for the future
The 1922 conversion of the Pineapple Public House to a Presbytery was undertaken by a young architect, HS Goodhart-Rendel, who later became Oxford’s Slade Professor of Fine Art and President of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
The Pineapple public house, 1922
The Presbytery, 2020
Goodhart-Rendel’s influence on the building is particularly notable in the beautiful first floor library and dining rooms which still exist in their original form.
Four key requirements have informed the proposed design:
Creating a public space that can accommodate larger events (up to 60)
Upgrading facilities and access
Connecting the church building with the presbytery
RETAINING THE SIGNATURE FEATURES OF THE ORIGINAL DESIGN WHILE MAKING A SPACE FIT FOR THE 21ST CENTURY
Proposed Ground Floor Community Hall